My latest project is a modified version of New Look A6125. This is a pattern for a short flowing dress that is fairly fitted at the top and then flares out into a trapeze shape. The dress is designed to be fully lined and has bust darts for shaping. It is also designed to have a center, back, invisible zipper. However, I changed several things. The printed finished bust is 37" on the size 10, and I knew that would be too much room for me so the first thing I did was trim 1/2" off the center front fold line. Most New Look patterns are too wide in the neck for me, so I didn't expect this to be a problem at the neck opening.
Next, I added 3" to the length so that I could create a high-low hemline. Instead of lining the dress, I cut out strips of bias binding and finished the armholes and neckline by stitching with a 1/4" seam, then under stitching, then turning to the inside and stitching again. Here is the finished look. I am very happy with how nicely the fabric behaved and how clean the finishes came out. The fabric is a medium weight rayon. Once again, this fabric came from Costco and was a large sarong. I just loved the print and color combination. The other thing I changed about this pattern was that I did not add a center back zipper. It was unnecessary. The dress easily slips over my head.
And here is the finished look!
That is all for now. Hope your week is off to a great start!